The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:01 am

Are they talking about the coming Season 3 of Picard being the best?

A DS9 reunion mini series like The Search for Sisko 10 years ago maybe but seems too late now.
Artistix
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:29 am

Happy I got in series 2 of the ReAction figures. Hope there is a series 3 for TNG!

yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:12 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm

Star Trek is a weird property in then it’s peaks were in the 60s and 80s. And even when there’s an attempt to revive it, they fall back on copying or directly referencing those eras. So of course it becomes a pale copy of those old shows.
Correct. Star Trek needs to go FORWARD. TNG worked because Roddenberry set that show 100 years AFTER TOS and gave it all new characters. The past was left in the past. Yes, past exploits of Kirk and crew were referenced on rare occasions, and that's just fine, but it wasn't ROOTED in it. It was its own show. Same with the TNG spin offs. DS9 and VOY had some holdover characters, yes---O'Brien and Worf, the Borg----but both of those shows also told their own stories and went down their own paths that were very different than TOS or TNG.

Every New Trek, be it movie or TV, was set in the past (with the exception of Picard). They didn't want to "boldly go" into the future.....that was too risky. They'd have to leave behind what the audience knew and rely on their own storytelling and ideas to rope people in. Studios don't want to take that risk these days. New stories and ideas is something that Hollywood is actually pretty terrible at.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:32 pm

Artistix wrote:Happy I got in series 2 of the ReAction figures. Hope there is a series 3 for TNG!

There’s some listed for Elementary Dear Data! I hope they do Pulaski and Moriarty too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:41 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Ash Talon wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm

Star Trek is a weird property in then it’s peaks were in the 60s and 80s. And even when there’s an attempt to revive it, they fall back on copying or directly referencing those eras. So of course it becomes a pale copy of those old shows.
Correct. Star Trek needs to go FORWARD. TNG worked because Roddenberry set that show 100 years AFTER TOS and gave it all new characters. The past was left in the past. Yes, past exploits of Kirk and crew were referenced on rare occasions, and that's just fine, but it wasn't ROOTED in it. It was its own show. Same with the TNG spin offs. DS9 and VOY had some holdover characters, yes---O'Brien and Worf, the Borg----but both of those shows also told their own stories and went down their own paths that were very different than TOS or TNG.

Every New Trek, be it movie or TV, was set in the past (with the exception of Picard). They didn't want to "boldly go" into the future.....that was too risky. They'd have to leave behind what the audience knew and rely on their own storytelling and ideas to rope people in. Studios don't want to take that risk these days. New stories and ideas is something that Hollywood is actually pretty terrible at.
Have you watched Discovery? True it started out before Kirk’s time, but the whole setting for the show jumped ahead almost 1000 years into the future. Funny that this show, which follows the format of further into the future is the show that is getting the most negative “fan” response. Strange New Worlds set before Kirk during Pike’s captaincy on the other hand has met with a really positive response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:02 pm

People hate discovery because it’s not Star Trek. You can change the setting, change the time, but if you change the format too much people abandon it. Same reason why Picard was set with such negative reviews. Picard as a character doesn’t line up with Picard from TNG or the movies. The movies were also a departure for his character which is why they received mixed reviews.

Strange new worlds is closer to being Star Trek but it’s still not quite there.

If you want to watch Star Trek, watch the Orville.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:02 pm
People hate discovery because it’s not Star Trek. You can change the setting, change the time, but if you change the format too much people abandon it. Same reason why Picard was set with such negative reviews. Picard as a character doesn’t line up with Picard from TNG or the movies. The movies were also a departure for his character which is why they received mixed reviews.

Strange new worlds is closer to being Star Trek but it’s still not quite there.

If you want to watch Star Trek, watch the Orville.
The same statements were made when the Star Trek movies came about. Also when TNG and especially DS9. I will never forget all the moaning and complaining about how sitting on a station was NOT Star Trek….. but the show actually introduced some of the best Star Trek stories. So called “Gatekeepers” have a history of being proven wrong time and time again. Just because something isn’t yours or mine’s Star Trek (or any other fandom) doesn’t mean it isn’t someone else’s. We just have to remember Admiral Kirk’s words to Mr. Scott, “Young minds, fresh ideas!”
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:04 am

But there really aren’t fresh ideas are they? Kids seem to think they invent everything.

I’ve tried watching Discovery and really can’t stand it for a number of reasons. And not because it doesn’t resemble previous shows.

And Strange New Worlds really doesn’t seem very good either. My friend had me watch a recent episode. It turned the Gorn, a race criminally undeveloped in the history of the brand, into Alien ripoffs. It was so horrible. The opposite of new ideas.

My ideal modernization of Trek would be more cerebral and scientistic. Almost dry in certain regards. So no, I don’t need the past repeated but just with fancier effects.

I really don’t know what the franchise should do. Not a fan of the modern stuff. If people like it, good for them. Just not my cup of tea.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:14 am

Not Star Trek here, but I just watched that new Hulu movie “Prey”that was really great. I agree that much of the new Star Trek doesn’t have the same originality and groundbreaking writing. It will still be some new generations first experience with Star Trek. Just like TNG or Star War’s Prequel Trilogy. There’s a lot of young ideas that I truly don’t find so great, but I will admit that Strange New Worlds pilot that dealt with a xenophobic species’s first contact with the Federation is very much relevant to a lot of things currently happening in our world today. Congressional hearings concerning UFOs? The James Webb telescope giving us glimpses of space way further than we have ever seen before? Might our own first contact be close at hand? Might this episode not have new meaning in retrospect?
souled4
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm

Artistix wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:29 am
Happy I got in series 2 of the ReAction figures. Hope there is a series 3 for TNG!

This picture plus my lack of warmth for the Playmates product just put me all in with ReAction TNG. I hope I don't regret it. :?
Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:28 am

The new Playmates line is up for pre-order at Target right now.

Not a fan of the wrist clip for Data's phaser, or the mostly monochromatic grey accessories and bland bases. The old line at least had the accessories cast in more colors than grey, but even then I'm wishing they would have hit them with some paint for this new line, at least to make them fit in with the new figures, which have very nice paint and some good head sculpts. The old school looking accessories would have gone better with these figures if the figures themselves were closer in design to the original line, IMO.

I may still grab giant gloves Spock if I see him in store, he's just so goofy and fun.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 pm

here is the link for the playmates trek at target, so far no release date on these.
https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=sta ... -list-grid
willbfree
Customized

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm

The ball-joints at the top of the legs are not good. Wish they’d kept the v-shaped joints there instead.

But Target's price is good! Budget figures.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:25 pm

willbfree wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm
The ball-joints at the top of the legs are not good. Wish they’d kept the v-shaped joints there instead.

But Target's price is good! Budget figures.
Do you really prefer the v-crotch over a more natural ball-joint? I have several of Playmates 90s figures from multiple lines as well as several from their newer lines and the newer articulation for the most part really enhances the figure. I really wish I still had my old bridge set to get comparison photos of these seated as well as the older figures. I think from the newest photos on Target’s website that these look a lot better than earlier photos. One of the photos showed some paint flaw on Data’s collar. They should have either fixed the picture or not included it in the shoot. Other than that little quibble I am pretty happy with these. I am ready for hands on reviews by fellow collectors.
badguy543
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:29 pm

For what its worth Mego has some really good looking Star Trek figures. I saw Picard, Kirk, Sisko and Warf in person and they said more were coming.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”