McFarlane Bethesda

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start! - Here is the place to discuss toys related to video games!
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

McFarlane Bethesda

Thu May 06, 2021 4:10 am

So they released three Doom figures from the new Eternal game, and nothing else. Where are the rest of the figures for Bethesda games? They mentioned Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I thought. Have we heard any news for these licenses?

I’d like some Fallout 2 and New Vegas figures. Also more Doom monsters would be neat.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: McFarlane Bethesda

Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 am

No news about any of them since the release of the Bronze Marauder, and Toy Fair was the last we heard of Elder Scrolls (aside from Alduin) or Fallout. I don't think we've heard about anything regarding the deal they had, whether it's ongoing and they're waiting for games, or if the deal they had was terminated (like that of Hollow Knight which never panned out).

Lots of words to say we don't really know what's going on with the Bethesda licenses. Perhaps next time someone has the chance to talk to Todd directly they could bring it up.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am

I emailed McFarlane around the holidays asking about the status of the Fallout figures/license and all they would say was they weren't on the release calendar at the time. No confirmation they even still had the license or intended to make figures.

I would love to get figures from these games, especially after getting the McF Warhammer figures. I would also like some vault dwellers. The Funko power armor figure was ok, but their vault dweller was horrendous.
Benedict
CROM!

Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 pm

They’ve got a habit of simply not bothering continuing a line if the first 1 or 2 don’t sell.
I’m still salty they had the Mass Effect license and all they put out was those 2 colour tops figures that barely moved.

On the other hand, Bethesda really drag their feet sometimes. I think the only extensive Fallout line is Threezero’s $350 power armour sets. They must get a decent cut, less so with $20 figs.
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 pm

Benedict wrote:They’ve got a habit of simply not bothering continuing a line if the first 1 or 2 don’t sell.
I’m still salty they had the Mass Effect license and all they put out was those 2 colour tops figures that barely moved.

On the other hand, Bethesda really drag their feet sometimes. I think the only extensive Fallout line is Threezero’s $350 power armour sets. They must get a decent cut, less so with $20 figs.
I get the frustration as a collector, but that's pretty much the definition of any business. If the first couple don't sell at all, then retailers won't order more. If retailers don't order more, then the line is dead. What else is he supposed to do?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 9:27 pm

FuzzyBlueDemon wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 pm
Benedict wrote:They’ve got a habit of simply not bothering continuing a line if the first 1 or 2 don’t sell.

I get the frustration as a collector, but that's pretty much the definition of any business. If the first couple don't sell at all, then retailers won't order more. If retailers don't order more, then the line is dead. What else is he supposed to do?
Do better?

If you’re going to secure a license and and support is so strictly contingent upon sales of the first two items, maybe choose the first two wisely and execute them well? The Mass effect figures were lame statues, and McFarlane should have kept his hands off the license if he wasn’t going to execute it properly. It’s not the collecting community’s responsibility to buy crappy products for the possibility of getting something of quality later.

Sucks the line isn’t a priority for either McFarlane or Bethesda (I dont know who is to blame).
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 pm

"McFarlane should have kept his hands off the license if he wasn’t going to execute it properly"

About that line, it isn't like they still have the license though, after those initial figures, and let's say they want to drop the product line, they would likewise drop the license (unless there's just a terrible deal in place for both parties where they're paying for the license but not putting out product), but it just happens to be the case that no one else wants to give it a shot. So just because they're done with it, doesn't mean the license is being held hostage where no one else could acquire it.

And about the "Do better", while I'd like to agree, especially regarding pre-highly-articulated McFarlane, it isn't necessarily all up to them. As you mentioned with the last line about who's to blame between McFarlane and Bethesda (assuming there even is still a deal), we don't know what the deal looks like. Maybe there's very little money to be allocated to certain lines because the deals aren't as lucrative as others, and maybe it isn't worth the investment or time they could be spending on products that sell better and that they're making more profit on.
And in terms of character selection, for the most part they do seem to come out of the gates with the A-listers. Scorpion and Sub-Zero for MK, Deku and Bakugou and All Might and Shigaraki for MHA, Zuko and Aang for the 7" Avatar figures, even Saitama for OPM (though I really don't think this series got a fair shake, not even Genos? A Boros would have been a good antagonist. Saitama just had the bad luck of being one of the first figures they were testing out articulation on, I guess, even the Naruto line stopped after the articulated Naruto). I guess the logic there is if these A-listers don't sell, what hope to the B and C listers have, and so they don't make the effort for more.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 pm

I wouldn't assume anything nefarious. Microsoft's ZeniMax acquisition finalized in March and it may just be a matter of revising contracts and discussing how the new licensor wants to move forward.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 4:38 am

That's all they showed a long time ago.

I would like to get some new Fallout figures in 6 or 7 inch scale. T-51b power armor, some creatures, etc. I have no idea if this will happen at all.
MollyMillions
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am

I wonder if the Microsoft buyout changed the contracts and licensing relations.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 am

I'm thinking the rocky reception Fallout 76 had might have turned McF off.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Even with the bad reception for Fallout 76 (which I heard is much better now, if anyone cares), the power armor and vault dweller designs are fairly consistent. Deathclaws would also seem like a design McFarlane would enjoy making (they kinda resemble Violater). McFarlane wouldn't have to base his figures on the most recent game. In fact, I’d prefer Fallout 2 or New Vegas, which I thought were better, more interesting games.

Outside of Fallout though, where the heck is the Dragonborn? I know there are obviously infinite interpretations of how the Dragonborn might look, but the standard male Nord that was used in the promotional images seems like it would be an easy product to sell.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 pm

I'm not 100% certain about this, but it always felt like ZeniMax Media let Bethesda handle marketing and merchandising for all the other subsidiaries. Which led to some really dumb decisions. There was an Elder Scrolls Online promotion a few years ago for a t-shirt that nobody really wanted anyway. But instead of letting anyone buy it for $14.99, you had to receive a discount code to purchase it. Because Bethesda put it up on their storefront for $440 million dollars. And then there was the Super Bowl ad for Morrowind that as far as engagement value was basically money flushed down the toilet.

Microsoft should hopefully fix some of the divisional and structural issues and get things back on track. The interest in merchandise is still there. Microsoft is going to want to cross-sell Xbox products. I'm personally still hoping there's a large articulated Mehrunes Dagon to close out the Gates of Oblivion storyline. Right in McFarlane's wheelhouse.

MollyMillions
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 11:04 pm

supreme-d wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 pm
Outside of Fallout though, where the heck is the Dragonborn? I know there are obviously infinite interpretations of how the Dragonborn might look, but the standard male Nord that was used in the promotional images seems like it would be an easy product to sell.
Dragonborn icon would be cool. A Morrowind Outlander.

I showed this thread to a non toy collecting, but hardcore gaming friend.

Doomguy is iconic enough. What else do you do with Skyrim outside of Anduin?

Lydia? The werewolf redhead from the fighter's guild? Maybe the Blades girl.

ESO could offer up some lore friendly heavyweights. Would we rather just get generic Khajit and Argonians?

It's such a broad franchise spread across a timeline, but the appeal is making your own hero and forging your own adventures. As a toy line it lacks the cache of Geralt and Ciri and Yennefer.

But I'd love to see McFarlane make a DIY mix and match line of the main races and classes.

Return to “Mushroom Kingdom: The Video Game Toy Board”