DC Superpowers 2022

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:52 am

That 'old school' Garcia Lopez artwork is completely sacred to me. :ugeek:

I pretty much know we won't be getting Timberwolf, Karate Kid, or Ultra Boy, but it sure is fun to imagine them! I'm alllll about the B and C Listers, and they would look fantastic in Super Powers style.

But I really do wonder what the ratio of Classic to Modern characters will be. Only time will tell.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:20 pm

Year 2 Robin wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:52 am
That 'old school' Garcia Lopez artwork is completely sacred to me. :ugeek:

I pretty much know we won't be getting Timberwolf, Karate Kid, or Ultra Boy, but it sure is fun to imagine them! I'm alllll about the B and C Listers, and they would look fantastic in Super Powers style.

But I really do wonder what the ratio of Classic to Modern characters will be. Only time will tell.
I agree 100%......my thoughts are 100% modern. BWL confirms for me the direction of the line. Leaves me disappointed but not surprised. DC seems determined to leave the past in the past and push its modern interpretations. Until DC wants to revisit the classics bronze age will be slim pickings.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:04 pm

As I said in my previous post, Todd’s leaving money on the table if he doesn’t do more traditional type figures in some capacity. It makes sense even if it’s not his preference (or mine). Hasbro has been very successful with this approach of late.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:42 pm

I’d love to see some of the “unmade” SP figures get a run in this line: especially Man-Bat and a proper Riddler.
geoffdude
Customized

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:26 pm

aceofknaves wrote:
I’d love to see some of the “unmade” SP figures get a run in this line: especially Man-Bat and a proper Riddler.
These are different scale than OG SP
red Ricky
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 pm

anthonywayne wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't know if it's the nostalgia talking, but...why does it seem like the old SP Batman is of better quality overall than this new one? That should not be the case.
Old school Super-Powers had pinless joints and a sophisticated internal engineering mechanism (for a toy) to activate their Super-Powers without levers, push buttons or wind-up springs. Simply put, no other Toy company has been able to gimmick their toy without breaking the sculpt or adding some sort of pump button. 15 years after the fact, when Marvel Legends came around, you'd still run into figures with godawful buttons and crap on their backs. Specially if you collected Spider-Man Classics or Hulk Classics. 35 years later and Super-Powers was and still is ahead of the curve in terms of engineering.

Now having said all that, and knowing Todd still hasn't figured out "pinless tech", I kinda wish he had followed MOTU Origins lead and improved the originals articulation. The original SP had stiff preposed hands to sustain the wear and tear of kids pressing them constantly and/or to illustrate a punching/kicking action. And if that was off the table, maybe adding an ab crunch or an elbow joint (ala Star Wars) would have been a viable substitute.

Other than that, I am hopeful for this line. I mean, there's no denying that the newer, more current Multiverse figures have better sculpting than those "first runs" waves. So one would think that these, too will improve over time. As for character selection... Todd's said many times that DC is always pushing a list of figures they want made and he's always getting caught on some sort of tug of war when it comes to choosing which characters to make. I was hopeful DC would relax a bit when it came to Super-Powers, but the Batman that Laughs is a clear indicator that they haven't. But as long as we get some of those unproduced New Teen Titans figures, I'll be ecstatic.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:35 pm

bananaman wrote:
I agree 100%......my thoughts are 100% modern. BWL confirms for me the direction of the line. Leaves me disappointed but not surprised. DC seems determined to leave the past in the past and push its modern interpretations. Until DC wants to revisit the classics bronze age will be slim pickings.
Reading that was like having a 300 pound professional linebacker take out my legs from behind, while I stood there with earbuds in, having no idea he was coming.

That said, you could absolutely be right. That does seem to be the current trend with DC. I got all caught up in the body style and the retro packaging that I figured it pretty much HAD TO be a huge tribute to the past.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.... :D
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:58 pm

geoffdude wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:26 pm
aceofknaves wrote:
These are different scale than OG SP
Indeed. And yet still these are ones I want McF to do.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:27 pm

Year 2 Robin wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:35 pm
bananaman wrote:
Reading that was like having a 300 pound professional linebacker take out my legs from behind, while I stood there with earbuds in, having no idea he was coming.

That said, you could absolutely be right. That does seem to be the current trend with DC. I got all caught up in the body style and the retro packaging that I figured it pretty much HAD TO be a huge tribute to the past.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.... :D
Aye, the fact that modern DC is coming into a Super Powers line so early really points to what is likely going on. I had hoped they keep that stuff mostly on DC multiverse line. However, I am still not against modern stuff in SP, I just want the focus in the beginning to be the remakes of the original SP, the ones planned but never made, and any characters that were from that era.

And yeah, I actually wanted to power action stuff. With this line and the aesthetics it spawned from, the most Added artic I would have wanted were elbow articulation.

As a side note for Dc Superheroes, even though they were not as good as SP, I really liked that kryptonite gimmick they had for Superman where there were magnets inside the figure and one inside the kryptonite ring accessory. The closer you put the ring to the figure’s chest, it would cause the Superman figure to fall over from “kryptonite weakness”.
anthonywayne
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:38 pm

red Ricky wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 pm
anthonywayne wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:03 pm
I don't know if it's the nostalgia talking, but...why does it seem like the old SP Batman is of better quality overall than this new one? That should not be the case.
Old school Super-Powers had pinless joints and a sophisticated internal engineering mechanism (for a toy) to activate their Super-Powers without levers, push buttons or wind-up springs. Simply put, no other Toy company has been able to gimmick their toy without breaking the sculpt or adding some sort of pump button. 15 years after the fact, when Marvel Legends came around, you'd still run into figures with godawful buttons and crap on their backs. Specially if you collected Spider-Man Classics or Hulk Classics. 35 years later and Super-Powers was and still is ahead of the curve in terms of engineering.

Now having said all that, and knowing Todd still hasn't figured out "pinless tech", I kinda wish he had followed MOTU Origins lead and improved the originals articulation. The original SP had stiff preposed hands to sustain the wear and tear of kids pressing them constantly and/or to illustrate a punching/kicking action. And if that was off the table, maybe adding an ab crunch or an elbow joint (ala Star Wars) would have been a viable substitute.

Other than that, I am hopeful for this line. I mean, there's no denying that the newer, more current Multiverse figures have better sculpting than those "first runs" waves. So one would think that these, too will improve over time. As for character selection... Todd's said many times that DC is always pushing a list of figures they want made and he's always getting caught on some sort of tug of war when it comes to choosing which characters to make. I was hopeful DC would relax a bit when it came to Super-Powers, but the Batman that Laughs is a clear indicator that they haven't. But as long as we get some of those unproduced New Teen Titans figures, I'll be ecstatic.

I hear you. However, I'm done with settling. They couldn't even replicate the stretchy, quality fabric of the original capes? No thanks. I'll collect this line when and if they can somehow figure out how to improve on SP, not take 4 - 5 steps backward and say 'buy this because childhood memories!' I've got Transformers for that.
red Ricky
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:38 pm

I hear you. Capes are an area they can definitely improve on. But McFarlane isn't known for soft goods, either. So this is new territory for them, too. Hopefully, they have time to improve, since Wave 2 is "Cape free". In the meantime, I'll take the new Darkseid for mint-on-mint display and the vehicles. Truth be told, the vehicles are what blew me away. 100% better than the Justice Jogger any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

As for character selection:

I'm down with Man-Bat, but the figure I've always wanted since the line's debut is an old school George Pérez Disco Nightwing. I'm sure we'll get the Hush version instead, but back in 1985, the only way to go was "collars up and party down!"

As for El Dorado, Quadrex, Shockwave and Silicon... I'm okay if they save those for the convention circuit.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm

For whatever wave of $#!+ this brings me, I just don’t believe that a figure line can survive on nostalgia alone anymore. I don’t have sales or marketing data to back it up, then again, I doubt any of us have that to access. But if nostalgia ran the collecting world, that’s all we’d be getting. Nothing would ever move forward. Hush Batman and New 52 Superman and Darkseid were the tip off.

This is an homage to nostalgia.
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 pm

My biggest wants are all period-appropriate additions to the original Super Powers line. Babs Batgirl, Riddler, Two-Face, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, Creeper, Perez Nightwing, the Outsiders, etc.

My hope is that John Stewart will at least be in a Bronze Age costume, but I have my doubts. I'm holding out hope that the characters from the original Super Powers series are getting modern updates, while new characters (like the vehicles) will be fairly period appropriate. Sure, there wasn't a Batwing back when Super Powers came out (there were various Batplanes and Bat-gyros), but the look works for a vintage inspired toy.

Likewise, I've been loving the Figures Toy Company figures that offer a 70's style extension to the original Mego line. I've picked up their retro versions of Man-Bat, Alfred, Gordon, Ra's, Creeper, Poison Ivy, and my favorite, Joker's Daughter, and can't wait for their Outsiders series (hopefully later this year). But I have no interest in Bane or Harley Quinn, as they don't match the era.

I'm in the same boat with Super Powers, but the price point is so low and my nostalgia so high, I won't be able to pass up any Batman-related figures they make. I'm mostly stoked about that Batwing, though as that hits me right in my sweet spot. A $50 Batcave would be impossible to pass up.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 pm

It’s also a question of what the owner of the licence will and will not allow. If Warner doesn’t think it’s in its best interests to have their IPs depicted in outdated 40 year old costumes then Todd needs to abide by that decision. Same as not being able to include guns with the figure. From a similar perspective it would be as if the original Super Powers figures were to have been made to resemble their forty year old golden age counterparts
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:52 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm
For whatever wave of $#!+ this brings me, I just don’t believe that a figure line can survive on nostalgia alone anymore. ....Hush Batman and New 52 Superman and Darkseid were the tip off.
You're probably right. I mean, even 90's looks are 2 decades old at this point.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”

Recent Topics