DC General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
markhamknight
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:09 pm

I'm in for Superboy, Eradicator, Mongul, BatBale, Heath's Joker... I'm gonna get the entire Nolan wave then sell Bane, Scarecrow and Two-Face.
Mysticmanjrf1
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:26 pm

I don't know why but I am weirdly averse to buying movie figures. Even for movies I love like the Dark Knight.

I can look at most of them and see that they are wonderful toys (McFarlane's Justice League was better than the movies they represent), but I get them on the shelf and only see the actors. Hard to suspend disbelief and see the characters for some reason, unless it's in the movie.

Keaton Batmobile and Batman being the exceptions to the rule.

Hadn't noticed that Eradicator was Rebirth, I'll definitely wait on the inevitable 90s version coming down the line. A bit odd to do a 90s Superboy with an Eradicator that doesn't fit that story.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
I don't know why but I am weirdly averse to buying movie figures. Even for movies I love like the Dark Knight.

I can look at most of them and see that they are wonderful toys (McFarlane's Justice League was better than the movies they represent), but I get them on the shelf and only see the actors. Hard to suspend disbelief and see the characters for some reason, unless it's in the movie.

Hadn't noticed that Eradicator was Rebirth, I'll definitely wait on the inevitable 90s version coming down the line. A bit odd to do a 90s Superboy with an Eradicator that doesn't fit that story.
Because he will do 90s Eradicator as a store exclusive Gold Label.

He will just probably stealth release it like Kyle after everyone buys the new one.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:36 pm

I don’t buy any live action figures either. Human proportions and the muted color palette just don’t have any appeal to me.

Plus figures of real people creep me out a little.
Chooch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:03 pm

That's modern Superboy with the spiky shoulders. He'll likely get a Gold Label as well.
PharOOO
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:19 pm

A thought occurred to me after seeing these new digital renders that read Spring 2023.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the inception of the entire DC Multiverse line, new figure releases have never had this kind of time gap from debut to being on the shelves. Usually, we'll see a new figure found in stores before any type of formal announcement is made.

Do you suppose that, while this type of "surprise, look what I found on the shelf" approach that seems to be very popular with fans, has been frowned on by major retailers like Walmart and Target now forcing McFarlane to debut figures 6 months out of their planned release?
With that approach, retailers can have figures go up for pre-order on their websites and generate 6 months worth of pre-sales rather than the unexpected straight to the shelves approach that has made this line so much fun.

Thoughts?
Jadeb
Customized

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:49 pm

It’s also free advertising, even if retailers aren’t twisting Todd’s arm. I won’t be shocked if these show up sooner than next spring, with the way McF cranks figures out and with Christmas coming. But maybe there are supply chain delays and Todd is trying to keep buzz going. Could be any number of reasons for this new approach.
MrImpossible
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:59 pm

I thought the shelf surprise thing was actually bumming people out. Then we’re left with no info, and it either means you have to scramble to go find them, and/or they get a limited/no online or wide release. I would actually like that to stop and we go back to the “preorder and wait a month or two” formula. It allows us to know we’ve got our items secure and we can budget for them accordingly.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:01 pm

I dunno. Todd’s picking up more licenses and getting busier as we speak. Digital renderings and scheduling out like this is probably par for this now. Plus, China is going through some more Covid convolutions. Shipping containers are a bit tough to get too. Todd has been able to avoid many supply chain issues. Gotta catch up to him at some point.

I’d think retailers would kinda like it when stuff shows up suddenly and people run out looking for it.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:17 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:36 pm
I don’t buy any live action figures either. Human proportions and the muted color palette just don’t have any appeal to me.

Plus figures of real people creep me out a little.

Same here. I feel if I buy a comic-book based Batman figure that it's just Batman. But if it's a figure of Batman from say the Nolan films, then it's like I'm buying a figure of Christian Bale cos-playing as Batman. It feels a little weird, like I'm playing around with some real life dude. LOL
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:21 pm

I guess wrestling figures are an exception.

Don’t buy those either.
CFFJR
Super Poseable

Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:37 pm

With few exceptions, I don't buy movie figures either. I'm more likely to do it if that's the source material (Indiana Jones, for example).

When it comes to super heroes, my thing is I love comics and I want comic figures.

Last year when the new Spider-Man movie came out there was so much talk about who was the best or favorite Spider-Man. Tobey or Andrew or Tom??!! Everyone argue now!

My favorite Spider-Man is Peter Parker. You know, the heroic, inspirational character who's been around for decades that those three actors were hired to play?

I know that probably sounds super snobby, and I promise I don't mean to be. I like these movies. Just saying that the characters are much more important to me (and I think historically) than who plays them.

Which I guess is all just a really long-winded way of repeating what most of you have said, in that I don't want figures of real people. :lol:

Jeez, sorry for going on like that.
The Qu
Super Poseable

Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:33 pm

Roufuss wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:32 pm
Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:

Because he will do 90s Eradicator as a store exclusive Gold Label.

He will just probably stealth release it like Kyle after everyone buys the new one.
We have a listing for a Gold Label Eradicator labeled Shock Wave variant, I'm thinking either this modern one is that, or another version crackling with energy like he's been shown with. I'd be a bit surprised if Steel, Eradicator, Superboy and Cyborg Superman weren't a DotS wave like we've gotten for Blackest Knight, if I'm being honest.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:23 pm

Excited for Catwoman and Superboy - hope better quality photos go online soon.

I wish Superboy was a bit more classic - but maybe they will do a gold label.
Meauxses
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:34 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Meauxses wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:15 am
I’d like to see an Agents of S.H.A.D.E variant of Frank down the line.
I’d like to see the rest of the team including the Bride.
Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”