McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:09 am

The third Joker is probably exclusive to a McFarlane.com 6 pack that will release 3 months after everyone bought the rest of the figures.
LipSmack
Avengers Assemble

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 am

Finally grabbed deaths metal batman for dirt cheap, stole his head and upgraded my grim Knight, it looks a fair bit better now though I noticed it has a very compatible slope to his forehead, which is kind of funny
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:31 am

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm
You don't want break the sculpt but you don't think that chunk at the bottom of the neck looks totally ridiculous.

And this. Seriously?

I think the leatherette cowl and the wide-set eyes / grimace is more ridiculous/less desireable about this figure. I really dislike the cowl texture plus the shine. The body looks better than I'd thought, but the lack of trunks on him makes he just think of Batfleck's suit, which wasn't one of my favorites. It's a step in the right direction, and as someone else noted "I'd hoped we could move on from Batman" once we get a definitive one, but I wouldn't say this is it.

And upon further inspection I see what was meant about the neck. It looks like Todd ignored one of the main criticisms about the Spawn Kickstarter's extra head. It's 2021, the head isn't supposed to pivot around fused with the neck like an arcade game joystick.
NeoZeRo35
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 am

My first impression on the latest pictures is that Batman's head is tiny similar to the DC essentials line. It's like the head of a 6" scale figure on a 7" body.
Drayco90
HULK SMASH!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:09 am

It bothers me irrationally every time they use pictures of the figures themselves on those cards they keep packing in with these things. I know it has no bearing on the figures themselves, but it irritates me nonetheless
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:11 am

Better get used to it because they've stopped putting comic/game art around the time John Stewart was released.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Drayco90 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:09 am
It bothers me irrationally every time they use pictures of the figures themselves on those cards they keep packing in with these things. I know it has no bearing on the figures themselves, but it irritates me nonetheless
That bugs me too. They're all just going into a plastic baseball card case, and I don't look at them, but still. I can take a picture of the figure if I want to. At least give me some art.

I remember Plamates doing this in the later years of their TMNT and Star Trek lines in the 90's . TMNT had original art and Star Trek had photos of the actors on their respective file cards., eventually they switched to pictures of the toy you just bought. Even young me thought, "This is dumb".
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Unfortunately the pictures of the figures on cards are here to stay. It's a separate process to approve the art on the card and it was delaying the release timeline of their figures. This is according to a guy in a Facebook group that says he is a designer at McF.

I would prefer they just stopped giving us the cards if they didn't have unique art, they are worthless otherwise.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:07 pm

I preferred the comic art. The cards being the actual figure just isn't nearly as fun and the cards were only so fun to begin with. However, my OCD doesn't want them to stop including cards so I'm willing to live with figures on the cards if it means we get more figures at a faster rate.
stack32
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Geez, I think I might have to skip this thread for a few months and come back when all the "This is the awesomest Batman ever!!!" posts start.
Logan622
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm

The next step McFarlane needs to take is to change their ankle articulation system… it adds unnecessary height to their figures, along with breaking up their sculpts (ironically enough)… this is not even mentioning how the detents lead to difficulty in standing many of the figures

If you notice with the 3J batman, his arms look a little short because of the extra height on the ankles… if they’re going to stick with the current ball joint system, they need to set the ball deeper into the ankle
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:26 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
JD Stevens wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 am
If the third Joker is an exclusive, that would really be a bummer.
JC on TNI was saying that he is not showing up on the Walmart or Target system so he thinks it may be an exclusive to some place other than them. To me that's good news. Walmart is the worst.
Hmm. What other options are there? Walgreens? Amazon perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:29 pm

I agree that he needs to set the ankles a little deeper. This does seem to be where extra height creep comes from in some of the figures. Depending on how the boot is sculpted it either doesn't add any height or adds 1/8". The less elaborate the boot (like Superman) the easier it is to insert the ankle joint. Whereas figures like Flashpoint Batman they literally cut the sculpt and add a small gap because all the detail in the boot.

Unfortunately I think these things are the tradeoff to their quick turn around time on figures. Hasbro has stated that figures take them something like 18 months to get made from concept to final product. As best as I can tell based on things like when Todd got the DC contract to when wave 1 was released and other comments about figure design to them actually getting in our hands, figures seem to take about 6 months or so to go from concept to in hand. It seems like he does this in multiple ways to speed up the time. Adding these standard ball joints at the wrist and ankle it seems would save a step in the design process. Its quicker to slap those into the sculpt than make the ankles and wrists part of the actual figure sculpt.

He seems to do other things to speed up the process as well, like make overlays for parts so paint isn't needed. Things are just cast in their proper color and fitted in.

Some of these steps actually improve the figures imo and others....well it's the cost of getting the figures fast and keeping them cheap.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:26 pm
yojoebro82 wrote:
JD Stevens wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 am
If the third Joker is an exclusive, that would really be a bummer.
JC on TNI was saying that he is not showing up on the Walmart or Target system so he thinks it may be an exclusive to some place other than them. To me that's good news. Walmart is the worst.
Hmm. What other options are there? Walgreens? Amazon perhaps?

Walgreens, amazon, gamestop, fan channel........
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Does McFarlane do fan channel exclusives? That seems more like a Hasbro thing. Also, this Joker seems kind of big for a GameStop exclusive, but I guess it’s possible.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”