Pro-Wrestling Discussion

What makes Fwoosh culture? Food, clothes, random thoughts, whatever - this is the place to talk about it.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Pro-Wrestling Discussion

Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:58 pm

it seems like wwe is at least letting things play out, acknowledging shared histories, actually having some good matches with real finishes which is more than i can say was happening when vince was still there. i think logan roman will actually be pretty entertaining, i probably wont watch it live, but if i hear enough good things ill check it out. and wwe has been doing the celebrity thing since the first wrestlemania so ive just come to accept it. its like getting mad at the weather, its gonna rain sometimes i just have to be prepared for it.

i thought aew was really good on wednesday. i found a upload of the show on youtube so i watch the mox guavara match, the tag titles match and bryan jericho and thought all 3 were very good. I think the shorter time actually made for a better match between bryan and jericho this time. i think the grand slam card looks good and you might feel better about aew coming out of that. im hoping that the suspensions will give some people the chance to get some more time.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 pm

legendkiller533 wrote: it seems like wwe is at least letting things play out, acknowledging shared histories, actually having some good matches with real finishes which is more than i can say was happening when vince was still there
That's fair. It's probably a bit much to expect any sweeping changes this early on. And maybe it's just that WWE in 2022 is always going to -feel- a little more 'flash over substance.' It's probably also fair to say that a big part of enjoying wrestling is investment, and I haven't been invested in any of WWE's characters in years, because WWE hasn't been invested in its own characters. So it'll take a lot of time before I really give a shit again. I almost did with Edge's return and they botched the hell out of that. So..

legendkiller533 wrote: i thought aew was really good on wednesday. i found a upload of the show on youtube so i watch the mox guavara match, the tag titles match and bryan jericho and thought all 3 were very good. I think the shorter time actually made for a better match between bryan and jericho this time. i think the grand slam card looks good and you might feel better about aew coming out of that. im hoping that the suspensions will give some people the chance to get some more time.
I think AEW is always (or nearly so) going to put on a good show. And I'm still going to follow and try to stay, as I said above, invested in the characters. I'm sure my being down about the product is 100% being caused by backstage stuff. House of Black losing its leader suuuucks. Especially knowing it's probably because they didn't treat Malakai like he deserved. So to lose him, and Punk, and Omega, and the Bucks all basically on the same night just gave me the same feeling I often got with WWE when they'd just randomly drop storylines without an ending. I have trouble just switching gears on the fly like that and being like 'oh, we're doing a tournament for the championship the day after it was won by Punk.... again? Super.' It's a drag. And you can tell it left some gaping programming holes they're trying to figure out what to do with.

That being said, I totally agree that losing that much top talent at once is a great chance to build up your home grown or lesser-used guys. That being said... I'm actually not looking forward to MJF as champ and I really wish they'd given Darby a run.
KnightDamien

Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:02 pm

The House of Black continues their streak of losing all their important matches. No [email protected]#$ wonder Malakai wanted out. What a waste of an amazing stable.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:47 pm

Gargano being interviewed for Pulse - all smarks know his "fandom" is clearly a work, to set up an eventual feud with Cardona.

(Seriously, pretty cool Johnny Wrestling gets that spotlight...even if he is a MiB collector.)
KnightDamien

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:51 am

There's two things I'd like to basically never see in AEW again, or at least not for a very long time: singles champions forming tag teams, and 'open challenges.' Both of those just SCREAM 'we don't have any plans for this character.' It's just also like.. the most ultra-lazy way to say it.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:53 pm

Disappointed with Andrade - I really liked his in-ring work and role when he was with Zelina Vega in WWE, felt like he was a big get for early AEW and should have been a star in AEW, not sure why his career isn't working for him more, but things like this altercation with Sammy and the supposed issues with AAA I am wondering if maybe he is too much of a Diva for himself?
KnightDamien

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:10 am

fac wrote: not sure why his career isn't working for him more, but things like this altercation with Sammy and the supposed issues with AAA I am wondering if maybe he is too much of a Diva for himself?
He did marry Charlotte. So.. diva seems likely. And I don't think I've seen very much nice stuff said about him. People like Bryan Danielson and Chris Jericho have a lot of backstage love for how they treat people, but Andrade just bounces around with a lot of implications that he's difficult to work with. And I don't believe this is the first time he was accused of working too stiff, either.

Andrade will go back to WWE with his wife, and be nothing there because he was nothing there the first time and that wasn't because he wasn't pushed. He was. He just has very little charisma and no (English) mic skills.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:34 pm

another blow for aew with hangman getting hurt last night. seems like it was a concussion and hes doing okay but it looked bad last night. hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back soon
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:45 am

So I love the Bloodline, especially the Jey/Sami turmoil.

Today it made me laugh so damn hard! When Roman and Jey looked like they were going to go at it and Sami being Sami decided to calm tensions and said Jey wasn't acting "Usi"... I lost it. Then Jey almost did, Then Roman totally did. And then Jey had to cover is face for minutes to hide his laughing.

I was nearly in tears laughing myself. Vince would have broken this all up by now like he did with Hurt Locker, but HHH knows what gold these guys provide. Fun, fun stuff!
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:47 am

franky4fingers
Supports Digits

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:44 am

I think this full Gear card is the first PPV of theirs where I'm not 100% invested and interested.
KnightDamien

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:35 am

TFitz wrote: So I love the Bloodline, especially the Jey/Sami turmoil.

Today it made me laugh so damn hard! When Roman and Jey looked like they were going to go at it and Sami being Sami decided to calm tensions and said Jey wasn't acting "Usi"... I lost it. Then Jey almost did, Then Roman totally did. And then Jey had to cover is face for minutes to hide his laughing.

I was nearly in tears laughing myself. Vince would have broken this all up by now like he did with Hurt Locker, but HHH knows what gold these guys provide. Fun, fun stuff!
I heard about this after the fact because I am not -generally- watching WWE right now, so I went back and watched it. My wife and I were almost rolling on the floor. It was so goddamn funny watching all those guys just absolute break in the middle of it because it was too funny. And when the crowd is chanting 'Usi' at them and oh man.. I'm laughing again just thinking about it. Probably one of my favorite wrestling moments of 2022.

franky4fingers wrote: I think this full Gear card is the first PPV of theirs where I'm not 100% invested and interested.
Yeah.

They seem to be really hyping MJF/Mox as something everyone is excited for but... is anyone? MJF functions best when there's a compelling story because he's not exactly an exciting wrestler. Him vs. Punk had a lot of story and interest behind it. Him versus Mox is just.. X guy wants the belt that Y guy has. Who cares? It's functionally no different from every other boring ass horrible match Mox has bled through.
And Mox is still easily the worst champion AEW has ever had for -any- of its titles. He's just a boring wrestler with a tired gimmick and a dumb persona. My wife and I are in total agreement where neither one of us has a single shred of interest in watching any match he's in. Ever. Even when he's wrestling people we like.. we just don't watch because we can't stand him.

I'm also not a big fan of Toni Storm as champion (although I do like her). But I love Jamie Hayter and I'm kind of hoping she wins, although I don't think she will (and probably because of Britt).

ROH World Championship match sounds like a [email protected]#$ and a whirlwind of nonsense that I won't enjoy actually watching. And I don't like Jericho as ROH champ, nor do I like this whole 'will the BCC break up?' angle thing they're doing. Just.. none of this appeals to me, despite Bryan Danielson being one of my favorite wrestlers.

Acclaimed v. Swerve/Lee is just a rehash match and therefore I don't really care. Nor do I expect anything to change except that this will be when Swerve/Lee break up as a team so Lee can stay a face, because people love him, and Swerve can go full heel because people can't stand him. Feels like this could be a Dynamite match pretty easily and Full Gear should get something more interesting that we didn't see already.

Nyla as the fake TBS champion has actually been goddamn hilarious. But the non-fighty stuff has been the best part of all that. I don't care about Jade at all, and don't enjoy her matches at all. I want Nyla to win because I just don't want Jade on my TV anymore. But at the same time, with the run Jade has had, I really wanted Statlander to be the one to dethrone her, rather than Nyla. So this is one of those 'meh' matches where I don't actually care too much what happens and I don't even think I'll bother watching it because Jade is not enjoyable to watch.

Jack v. Luchasaurus is just.. I don't know why we're doing this except they're dragging it out because Christian is still hurt. That's all there is to it. So it's yet another rehash match on one of AEW's few 'big' shows, and it doesn't feel like it fits. I mean, at least doing the steel cage makes it a bit more interesting and I'm fairly confident it'll be a fun watch. I just.. wouldn't care if it didn't happen, I guess.

I'm very interested in Britt vs Saraya but mostly from the perspective of wondering how Saraya will do after this long out of the ring. She was pretty rusty on the mic, which isn't a great start. And Punk's first couple of matches were absolutely nothing to write home about. But Saraya and Britt are both favorites of mine so I'm still looking forward to it.

I can't stand Jay Lethal. I've never liked Jeff Jarrett. I haven't really been enjoying Darby very much lately either. Add to that this match includes a 55 year old vs. a 63 year old AND is further evidence that AEW has no relevant, useful plans for Darby. The whole match feels like a big old balloon release fart sound.

What's worse.. there's multiple titles that apparently won't even be defended so that we can get crap like Jeff Jarrett and rehash matches like Jungle Boy. Feels like the worst-planned, most boring PPV AEW has ever done. 2/3 of it is basically an easy skip.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:15 pm

Sami is still [email protected]#$ amazing. As always. What he did at Survivor series and his emotions after the match... Wow You can also include how he is at the podium afterward with Heyman speaking as brilliant. So subtle, but powerful. He is absolutely my favorite guy in wrestling right now.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:13 pm

The whole Bloodline stuff has been good for a long time now, and Sami has worked oddly well with it - the stuff with Jey has been fantastic. Coming off the Knoxville feud, I figured Sami being a delusional pest to the Bloodline would resolve itself in short order, amazing it has gone on this long and has gotten better. I assume that Sami believing everyone in the Bloodline has his back now will make the eventual expulsion and beat down seem even more heinous...or justified if he gets more delusional.

I am not a fan of the War Games match concept, the whole beat each other to a pulp thing for 30 minutes works best when a feud demands it, but honestly it makes for a bit of a boring match as no one can win until everyone is involved. The put together teams didn't help - only the Bloodline was a full faction with 5 people. Having said that, I thought both were about as good as could be in building new stories and revisiting old stories, but a more traditional Survivor Series match with the put together teams would have been better I think.

WWE is putting out some good stuff overall under Hunter. Not happy that Bray is back, I just feel like his whole thing doesn't fit with the rest of the roster. I think Hunter mentioned rethinking some of the gimmick-based PLEs like Elimination Chamber and Hell in the Cell - which to me makes sense, bring those stipulations out when needed, not force a storyline into it. If it was me, I'd find a way that the Royal Rumbles lead to a title opportunity but not at WrestleMania - it makes the Rumbles to me too predictable as to what they want for a main event for WM, and the build is too long between the shows. If it led to a title opportunity at a non-big 4 it could be anyone and shake things up a bit more and be a good filler. Kind of how Money in the Bank adds a wildcard, or traditional Survivor Series if you had the sole survivor get a title shot.
KnightDamien

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:59 am

Sami is a treasure. I'd say this is the kind of stuff anyone that used to watch old NXT expected from him and never got. It's really great that he's being given this opportunity to go out there and just be charismatic. He and the Bloodline has consistently been one of the only good things WWE has going on.

fac wrote:I am not a fan of the War Games match concept,
Me either. Definitely think it's one of those things that .. I don't know.. maybe had a place or can be used very occasionally? But even then, I can't think of a single War Games match that I feel -needed- to be a War Games match. I know I'm saying this about a scripted fake fighting show, but War Games seems too fake/gimmicky for me. I don't think it adds anything.
Buuuut, it's fair to note that I'm also just generally not a big fan of over-stuffed matches with lots of guys in them except for Royal Rumbles where it makes way more sense and somehow feels less silly and contrived.

fac wrote: I think Hunter mentioned rethinking some of the gimmick-based PLEs like Elimination Chamber and Hell in the Cell - which to me makes sense, bring those stipulations out when needed, not force a storyline into it.
Totally agree. I've actually been banging that drum for years and years now. No gimmick match should be an entire PPV. It diminishes them while also forcing some characters into those matches when the feud or match-up just doesn't really call for it. And frankly, it's boring and exhausting. I don't need to see four cage matches in one night. Announcing a Hell in a Cell should be exciting. A real 'OOOH Shit! This just got real' moment. It shouldn't be 'well yeah, that branded PPV is next month so of course this feud is ending in that type of match.' Boring.

Plus plus also and plus; you force the athletes to work out just the stupidest spots to try to keep their matches interesting when they're basically doing the same match as a bunch of other people. Oh, this one is extreme rules, but this one is a tables match.. without any rules, and this one is a ladder match.. which doesn't have any rules, and this one is a 'falls count anywhere' match... without any rules. It's all the same match and you get really silly stuff in them as the athletes just try to keep it interesting and different.

Also agree that maybe winning the RR shouldn't equal a title match months later. I don't think pro-wrestling is set up for those kinds of long waits and it takes away a lot of the spontaneity of what 'could' happen because, as you said, it's usually pretty obvious what WWE -wants- the WM main event to be and the RR winner makes that far more obvious. Personally, I'd get rid of MITB and just go with the RR winner getting a future title shot of their choosing. But I also don't really like MITB.

Return to “The Bar With No Name”